Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size
Change Font Size

Kirk Douglas Theater


The Kirk Douglas Theatre in Culver City is the newest member of Center Theatre Group’s family of theatres (which includes the Mark Taper Forum and Ahmanson Theatre at the Los Angeles Music Center). The 317-seat venue, located in a renovated historic theatre, opened in October 2004 with a season that included six world premieres. Subsequently, Artistic Director Michael Ritchie has selected a wide range of productions - from the classic Come Back, Little Sheba featuring S. Epatha Merkerson to the world premieres of two new musicals, Sleeping Beauty Wakes (with Deaf West Theatre) and Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (a wild West rock musical), to the productions of fellow Los Angeles theatre companies allowing those artists to reach a broader audience at the Kirk Douglas Theatre.

Center Theatre Group
213.628.2722
www.CenterTheatreGroup.org

Kirk Douglas Theatre Community Access Program
The Kirk Douglas Theatre Community Access Program was developed by Center Theatre Group and the Culver City Redevelopment Agency as part of the lease arrangement for the theatre. Annually, Center Theatre Group has the option to offer dates at the Kirk Douglas Theatre for use by Culver City-based community and cultural organizations.

More information about the program is available by contacting Susan Obrow at 310.253.5762 or by e-mail.

The Culver Theatre History
The Culver Theatre began construction in 1945. It was built in the late Moderne style, and like the Meralta, was a source of jobs for local youth. The theatre received Historic Landmark status from the city. As the need for single theaters and ushers with flashlights declined, the Principal Theater was sold and reconfigured into a triplex. The Culver underwent changes of ownership, as the Mann chain purchased the theater in the early 1970s, and later Great Western Theatres, Inc., and NCC Theatre Corp. In 1985, the Culver City Redevelopment Agency bought the theatre. The Culver ceased operations in 1989. In 2004, the renovated facility became the Kirk Douglas Theatre.