Culver City Smoke Alarm Program
- Three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.
- More than one-third (38 percent) of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.
- The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms.
This year, the City of Culver City was awarded an Assistance to Firefighters Grant to aid its citizens who lack working smoke alarms in their residences.
This program will provide free smoke alarms to residents of single-family homes who cannot afford them or who are unable to safely install them. Smoke alarms will be made available to pick up or a member of the Culver City Fire Department will schedule a time to install the alarms for you.
This program is available for owner-occupied single family homes in Culver City. If you live in a rental unit (house or apartment), it is your landlord’s responsibility to install and maintain the smoke alarms. The California Building Code states that the placement of smoke alarms should be on every level, inside every bedroom and in the hallway adjacent to any bedroom.
To qualify, you must:
- Be an owner of a single family home.
- Reside within Culver City borders.
- Currently lack smoke alarms or have defective smoke alarms.
To participate in this program, call the Culver City Fire Prevention Bureau at 310-253-5925 to schedule an appointment. Appointments can be made 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Mondays – Thursdays.