The La Ballona Elementary Safe Routes to School Project will install a number of traffic safety improvements in the neighborhood surrounding La Ballona Elementary School to make it safer and more comfortable to walk and bike to school. Proposed improvements include:
- Curb extensions at intersections to shorten pedestrian crossing distances
- New ADA ramps to make it easier to cross the street in a wheelchair or with a stroller
- New high-visibility crosswalks
- New controlled intersections with median refuge islands on Washington Blvd.
- New street trees and pedestrian-scale lighting
- A new protected bike lane on Elenda Street between Culver Blvd. and Washington Blvd.
This project is funded through a California Active Transportation Program Cycle 2 grant and is scheduled for construction beginning in the summer of 2018. Design and engineering work are ongoing.
Past Community Meetings:
- Saturday, November 4, 2017: We will have a booth at the La Ballona Fall Festival, from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM, at La Ballona Elementary School.
- Thursday, November 16, 2017: We will have a community workshop starting at 5:00 PM before the regularly scheduled Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee meeting at 6:00 PM in the Patacchia Room on the 1st floor of City Hall.
Check back periodically for information about future stakeholder meetings.
La Ballona Project Boards
- La Ballona Project Overview (English / Spanish)
- La Ballona Project Intersection Improvements
- La Ballona Project Elenda Protected Bikeway
- La Ballona Project Presentation
For questions and comments about this project, please contact Eric Bruins, Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator, at (310) 253-5616 or email@example.com.