Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size
Change Font Size

Hazardous Materials

Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is any chemical or toxic product used in the household that no longer serves it's purpose or is no longer needed. Products that are toxic in nature need to be properly disposed of. To find out more information about HHW and why it is important to dispose of it properly, please visit the following website sponsored by the County of Los Angeles:

If you would like to view the latest Household Hazardous Collection Schedule, please visit Los Angeles County's CleanLA website at or call them directly at (888) CLEANLA.

Hazardous Materials Disclosure Program
State and Federal legislature requires EVERY BUSINESS that handles more than a certain amount of Hazardous Materials to report their inventories of Hazardous Materials to their local Fire Department.

Does your business handle Hazardous Materials?
Many items you may never have thought of as a "Hazardous Material" are in fact hazardous. Please note that "Hazardous Material" is not the same as "Toxic Waste" … a "Hazardous Material" is any material, which is hazardous. If it is flammable (i.e. gasoline), combustible, corrosive (i.e. swimming pool acid), caustic, explosive, toxic (i.e. pesticides), poison, an irritant, etc., it is a Hazardous Material. If it has a warning label, you can consider it a Hazardous Material. Concerning the word "handle", the State defines "handle" as "to use, generate, process, produce, package, treat, store, emit, discharge, or dispose of a Hazardous Material in any fashion." (Health & Safety Code Section 25501(h) ) In other words, if your business has anything to do with a Hazardous Material, you "handle" it.

Now that you have a better idea of what a Hazardous Material is, think about the items you "handle" in your business. If any of the items you handle has any kind of hazard associated with it, you handle a Hazardous Material. The Question now becomes one of "Is this Hazardous Material a reportable quantity?" Basically, if your business handles any single Hazardous Material at any one time in any amount greater than or equal to 55 gallons for a liquid, 500 pounds for a solid, or 200 cubic feet for a gas, you have a reportable quantity, and must report your inventory to the Fire Department. For example, if on any single day of the year you had two 30-gallon drums of solvent, it is a reportable quantity (30 + 30 = 60 gallons), even if normally you only have about 25 gallons on hand.

Once you have determined whether your business handles Hazardous Materials, please contact Inspector Christine Parra at (310) 253-5930 for assistance in reporting your materials.

Hazardous Materials Disclosure Packet
If you are already in the program and need a new Hazardous Materials Disclosure Packet, please click here (pdf).

If you would like a copy of a Sample Hazardous Disclosure Packet, click here (pdf).