The Finance Department provides sound fiscal advice and information to City officials, City departments and the general public that ensures a financially strong and effective city government. The department plays a key role in each financial transaction of the City and Successor Agency, ranging from cash handling to debt management; from financial forecasting to budgetary controls. The Department responsibilities include: financial administration, budgeting and financial analysis, accounting and auditing of City resources, establishment of sound internal controls, cash management, debt management, purchasing, investments, billing and collection of monies due the City, issuing of business licenses, accounts payable and payroll. The Department assists the City Manager in preparing and administering the operating and capital improvement budgets, ensures accurate fiscal analysis on items presented to the City Council, and through the City Manager, provides an annual audited statement of the City’s financial condition to the City Council, prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting standards.

Department Head

Lisa Soghor

Chief Financial Officer
Phone: (310) 253-5865

What services are provided by the Finance Administration Division?

Finance Administration is responsible for setting goals for the department and the organization related to the City of Culver City finances, setting the strategic vision to reach those goals, and providing support and financial guidance to elected leaders, City Management and other departments, as well as managing all aspects of the Finance Department.

What services provided by the Accounting Division?

The Accounting Division is responsible for the development, maintenance, and administration of the City’s accounting system, preparation of the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report and other periodic financial reports as well as the implementation and maintenance of accounting controls over the City’s financial resources. Other functions include: general ledger; grants; capital projects; fixed assets; and financial reporting. The Division also ensures compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and applicable federal, state, and local laws/regulations.

What services provided by the Budget & Financial Operations Division?

The Budget and Financial Operations Division performs operational duties for the City and its various agencies that include, but are not limited to, preparation of the City budget; special projects; preparing payroll and related reports; processing accounts payable; maintaining related automated systems; and participating in related compliance reviews.

What services provided by the Purchasing Division?

The Purchasing Division is responsible for the centralized purchase of goods and services for the City. In addition, the Purchasing Division is responsible for the dispensing and/or delivery of stock items from Central Stores to all City departments and divisions, receiving and distributing non-stock items delivered to Central Receiving, and tracking and disposal of City property.

What services are provided by the Revenue Division?

The Revenue Division is responsible for comprehensive management of the City revenue programs from tax monitoring to collections, including audits and on-site visits to business taxpayers, utility companies, and hotels. This can also include legal enforcement when necessary. This Division receives all payments to the City received by mail, wire transfer or walk-in and ensures the timely deposit of funds to the proper accounts. This Division also handles necessary daily banking and investment matters.

Where are the City’s audited financial statements?

The City’s audited financial statements are located under the Government Transparency section.

What is the Total City Budget for Fiscal Year 2020/2021

What is the Total General Fund Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2020/2021?

The Total General Fund Operating Budget for Fiscal Year 2020/2021 is $119,108,233

What are the starting and ending dates of Culver City's fiscal year?

Culver City operates on a fiscal year beginning July 1 and ending on June 30.

How many votes of the City Council does it take to amend the City's adopted budget?

The budget may only be amended or supplemented by a 4/5 vote of the City Council.

When does the proposed budget need to be submitted to the City Council?

Per Section 801 of the City Charter, the proposed budget must be submitted to the City Council no later than 45 days prior to the end of the fiscal year.

I have a great suggestion on how to save the City money. How can I let someone know?

We welcome and encourage suggestions on how to save the City money or improve City services. If you would like to share yours with us, please fill out our Budget Input Box Suggestion Form

Where can I learn about Culver City Business Tax  Certificates?

Important information is located under the Business Tax  Certificates section.

Where can I get information on the Culver City tax ordinances?

Tax ordinances are a part of the Culver City Municipal Code. The Culver City Municipal Code is available online or at the Office of the City Clerk on the 1st Floor of City Hall at 9770 Culver Blvd., Culver City CA 90232.


Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)

What is the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and who is exempt from paying it?

Transient occupancy tax is levied on hotel/motel room rent charges for all hotel/motel room occupants, except those guests whose stay is for more than 30 consecutive days. The tax rate is 14% of the rent charged for the room.


Utility User Tax (UUT)

What is the Utility User Tax (UUT) rate?

The utility user tax rate is 11%.

What services are subject to Utility User Tax (UUT)?

Electricity, gas, water, telecommunications and cable television services provided to both residential and business users are subject to local utility user tax.

Who is exempt from Utility User Tax (UUT)?

You may be exempt from paying utility user's tax for your personal residence if:

  1. You are a resident of Culver City;
  2. You are 60 years of age or older;
  3. Your Total Adjusted Gross Income was nor more than $18,200 for the last calendar year; AND the combined Adjusted Gross Income of all members of the household in which you reside was no more than $21,500; OR
  4. You are a resident of Culver City who meets the criterion of Disability, as established by the Social Security Administration's Supplemental Security Income Program for the Aged, Blind and Disability (Title XVI of the Social Security Act as amended), without regard to your age.

If you believe you qualify for an exemption and refund of utility user tax paid in the current year, contact the Finance Department at (310) 253-5865. Applications for each are available below:


What business activities need a special permit? How do I apply? What is the cost?

Application must be made in person at the Finance Department at City Hall. A police background check may be required for some business activities.  Please contact the Business License Division at 310-253-5870, for information on permit fees.

A complete list of business activities requiring a special permit to operate from the City's Committee on Permits and Licenses is provided below:

Ambulance Service Lecture/Ltd Time Performance (open to the public)
Animal Show w/ Admission Limousine Service
Arcade Locksmith
Art/Antique Show-Promoter Massage Tech /Acupressure
Art/Antique Show-Vendors Massage/Acupressure Facility
Auction House Auctioneer Newspaper (fee)
Auto Parking Lot Parade
Auto Parking Service (Valet) Pawnbroker
Beer Bar Pool Hall
Billiard Hall Radio Station
Bowling Alley Recycling
Bridge Card Room Rentals/Motor Vehicles
Bus Service Rentals-Personal Property
Car Wash Rest/Retirement Home
Carnival Restaurant serving beer/wine/alcohol
Catering Truck Sales Broker-Used Merchandise
Charitable Bingo Salvage Dealer/Collector
Charitable solicitation Sanitarium/Convalescent Hospital
Check Cashing Service Security Guards/Detective
Christmas Tree/Sales Sidewalk/Rummage Sale
Closeout/Bankruptcy sale Solicitation/Canvassing
Cocktail Bar Special Event (Vendors)
Computer Services (On-Line/Credit Card) Street Vendor-Non Motor
Curb Painting Tanning Facility
Dancing/Soft Drink Establishment Tattoo Parlor
Dismantling/Wrecking Yard Telephone 900 Service
Employment/Talent Agency Telephone Solicitation
Finance/Escrow Service Theater
Fortune Teller Ticket Sales
Funeral Parlor/Mortuary Towing Service
Golf Course/Drive Range Trade Show-Promoter
Handbill Distributor Trade Show-Vendors
Health Club/Physical Training Travel Agency
Hospital Used Computer Sales
Hypnotherapy Used Merchandise Sales
Ice/roller Skating Rink Used Motor Vehicle Sales
Import/Export Vehicle Fleet Sales
Impound Yard Vending/Amusement Machines
In-Home Health Care Veterinarian/Animal Hospital
Klieg Lights/Advertising Wedding Chapel

What events need a special permit? How do I apply? What is the cost?

All events open to the public require a permit from the City's Committee on Permits and Licenses. Application must be made in person at the Finance Department at City Hall. Please contact the Business License Division at 310-253-5870, for information on permit fees.

Download the Special Permit application.(PDF, 197KB)

What is an information card and who needs it?

An information card, issued by the City's Committee on Permits and Licenses, shows the public that an organization seeking to solicit donation of funds, goods or services in support of a charitable purpose has filed with the City the required notice of intention to solicit. An information card is not an endorsement by the City of either the organization or the charitable purpose for which the solicitation is being conducted.

How do I obtain a yard sale permit?

Apply online by completing the Yard Sale Permits form.  Yard sale permits may be obtained from the Business Tax Division of the Finance Department. To contact the Business Tax Division, please call (310) 253-5870.