The State of California permanently prohibits the following practices that waste potable water:
- Hosing off sidewalks, driveways and other hardscapes
- Washing a motor vehicle with a hose, unless the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle
- Operating a fountain or decorative water feature, unless the water is part of a recirculating system
- Watering outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes excess runoff, or within 48 hours following measurable precipitation
- Irrigating with potable water of ornamental turf on public street medians
Violation of any of these prohibited/restricted water-use activities may be subject to a fine for each day in which the violation occurs.