Higuera Street Bridge Replacement Project
- Project typeStreet and Infrastructure Improvements
- Completion DateFebruary 28, 2023
The City of Culver City, in cooperation with the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), are bringing much needed improvements to the Higuera St Bridge in the Hayden Tract area, including a new bike ramp connection to the Ballona Creek Bike Path.
The current Higuera St Bridge over Ballona Creek (immediately west of Jefferson Blvd) will be demolished. A new, wider bridge (27 additional feet) will be constructed with improvements.
START: September 20, 2021
COMPLETION: February 28, 2023 (anticipated)
Monday – Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM and intermittent weekend hours
Please be advised, all construction is dynamic and the schedule is subject to change.
- Additional northbound travel lane (two in each direction)
- New bike lanes with lane line buffers
- New entrance bike ramp connection to Ballona Creek Bike Path
- Wider sidewalks
- Traffic signal upgrades at Jefferson Blvd
- New pavement and striping
- New retaining walls, landscaping and irrigation
**Street/Bridge and Bike Path Closures**
- Higuera St, between Jefferson Blvd and Eastham Dr, will be closed beginning 09/20/21 to all vehicle, pedestrians, and bicycle traffic and will remain closed throughout construction until completion 02/2023.
Traffic will be detoured to National Blvd, Hayden Ave, Eastham Dr, and Jefferson Blvd. Flaggers may be on site to direct traffic.
- The Ballona Creek Bike Path will be closed during bridge demolition and intermittently throughout project.
The Ballona Creek Bike Path will otherwise largely remain open during construction, with intermittent temporary closures. At such times, closure notices will be placed at strategic locations to direct bicyclists to Jefferson Blvd.
- Nearby businesses and their access entrances will remain open during construction.
Construction will be noisy and nearby businesses/residents may feel vibrations. The construction contractor will attempt to minimize these inconveniences.
Please observe all traffic controls and parking restrictions and use caution while traveling through a construction area.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation throughout construction.
Higuera Street Bridge 08/2021
The Higuera Street Bridge Replacement and Ballona Creek Bicycle Path Connectivity Project is funded by grants from:
Federal Highway Bridge Program grant
Proposition 84 grant from the Baldwin Hills Conservancy
Metro Call for Projects grant
Local Culver City grant matches, including from Gas Tax, Measure R, and General Funds
Culver City Public Works Department
Sammy Romo, Project Manager
Ortiz Enterprises, Inc.
Jeff McDermott, Project Manager
Mazen Mneimneh, Construction Manager
between Eastham Dr and W Jefferson Blvd, Culver City 90230 View Map