Neighborhood Spotlight: Culver City is re-energized and adding to its resume
The city that became known as “The Heart of Screenland” sprang up from farmland along the Pacific Electric Railway line to Venice and was incorporated by its founder and namesake, Harry Culver, in 1917.
Even before Culver City was officially a city, the movies had come to town, with Thomas Ince moving his studios from Pacific Palisades and building the two production facilities that would become MGM Studios (and later, Sony Pictures Studios) and the Culver Studios.
While Hollywood the place got all the press, Hollywood the industry in its Golden Age was centered in Culver City. “Gone With the Wind,” “The Wizard of Oz,” and “Citizen Kane” were some of the towering achievements of cinema that rolled off the studio production lines on Washington Boulevard.
Street upon street of neat little bungalows were built to house the army of production personnel required, and the tidy all-American neighborhoods of Culver City themselves became screen stars, providing the backdrop to movies and television shows set in cities and towns all around the country.
Read the full story on www.latimes.com.