Recycling & Trash for Single Family Homes

All residential properties are required to have garbage, recycling and organics service. To start service, schedule a cart exchange or to discuss billing options and/or for more information call EPO's customer service.


Sign in online to Culver City Connect with any questions, comments, suggestions or concerns.




As easy as 1-2-3: Separate, Collect, then Place Organics in the Organics Collection Cart to be collected and processed into compost. Please watch our residential food waste/organics video to learn more: 


Organic Materials that Belong in your Green Cart 

Food Scraps and Food Soiled Paper

  • Veggies
  • Meats, seafood
  • Dairy products
  • Breads, grains, pastas
  • Fruits, vegetables
  • Bones, shells
  • Pizza boxes
  • Napkins, paper towels
  • Paper based to-go containers

Yard Trimmings 

  • Flower cuttings
  • Garden trimmings
  • Lawn clippings
  • Leaves
  • Prunings 
  • Shubbery
  • Tree twigs (4 feet or less in length & 6 inches in diameter) 
  • Weeds
  • Wood chips

showimage (5).jpeg

How to Separate, Collect, Empty Organics in your Green Cart


While preparing meals or when cleaning the refrigerator, separate food scraps and always scrape any extra food from your plate into a kitchen pail.


Use a kitchen pail or any compostable paper container such as take-out boxes or paper bags to collect kitchen food scraps.

Include food-soiled paper such as coffee cups and filters, paper plates, napkins, paper towels, parchment paper, and paper take-out containers.

Freezing food scraps or wrapping them in newspaper can prevent leaks and odors.


Empty food scraps, food-soiled paper and plant debris into the green organics cart.

By collecting food scraps, we’ll reduce waste and create compost for local farms and gardens.

Organics Containers Upon Request

Kitchen Pail 

showimage (6).jpeg The City is offering pails that can be placed on the counter to collect food waste until you are ready to place it into your backyard compost bin or in the city's organics collection container. We suggest using a newspaper, or BPI-certified compostable liner to help keep food waste from sticking to your pail. Residents can request kitchen counter pails from the Environmental Programs and Operations Division. To request, please call (310) 253-6400.







What goes in the BLUE recycle cart?

Empty Glass, Plastics (1 - 5), Aluminum & Metal, Clean Paper & Cardboard

 Have more questions about "What Goes Where", ask Recycle Coach



What goes in the BLACK trash cart?

Non-Recyclable & Non-Hazardous Materials: broken plates, polystyrene, foam, plastic bags, diapers, pet poop, kitty litter, incandescent light bulbs, toothpaste tubes, broken pottery, disposable razors, disposable ice-packs.

Used Clothing: Donate gently worn items to a second-hand store or clothing drive. Tattered and stained clothes belong in the trash.

showimage (7).jpeg



What DOES NOT go into the Trash Cart?

Do not place food scraps, recyclables, or household hazardous waste in the trash cart.



Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Hazardous Waste in the home is commonly referred to as "Household Hazardous Waste” (HHW). Improper DISPOSAL of Hazardous waste is dangerous and ILLEGAL.


To Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste Properly:

  • Keep products in original container and sealed
  • Drop them off at a Household Hazardous Waste event or permanent collection center
  • Paint recycling: most paint vendors in Culver City recycle old paint. Visit paint care for details and locations near you.

Drop Off Locations: 

Common HHW Items: 

Oil and Water-based paints
Turpentine paint stripper
Paint thinner
Rust remover
Spray paint


Weed Killer
Snail Killer
Bug Spray


Products in aerosol cans
Alcohol-based lotions
Nail polish and nail polish remover
Isopropyl alcohol
Hair relaxers and dyes
Expired medicine


Ammonia-based cleaners
Tub, tile and toilet cleaners
Floor care products
Window cleaners
Aerosol cleaners and sprays
Furniture polish
Metal cleaners and polish
Oven cleaners
Drain cleaners 
Windshield water solution
Auto body repair products
Metal polish with solvent
Fuel oil and other oils
Transmission fluids
Brake fluid
Used motor oil and filters
Windshield washer solution
Kerosene & gasoline
Car wax
Lead acid batteries


Cell phone rechargeable Batteries
Swimming pool chemicals
Photographic chemicals
Dry cleaning solvents
Light bulbs
Mercury batteries
Fiberglass epoxy
Lighter fluid
Shoe polish
Moth balls

Additional HHW Information:  

  • CONTACT INFORMATIONIn case of poison emergency, call 911 or the California Control System Emergency hotline at 1-800-876-4766


Bulky items

Couches, mattresses, refrigerators, cabinets, large appliances

636736344377200000.jpeg    ShowImage (3).jpeg

Schedule Your Pickup

Contact the Environmental Programs and Operations Divisions customer service at (310) 253-6400 to schedule your bulky item pickup.  Monday through Friday 7 am - 3 pm. 

  • A customer service representative will review set-out guidelines with you
  • Your appointment will be scheduled within two (2) weeks of your call

Instructions for Collection

Place items at the curb by 6 am and no earlier than 1 day before your scheduled pick up date. Loose, uncontained or otherwise improperly prepared items may be subject to an additional fee.

Public Non-Profit Partnership

Culver City’s Mattress Recycling Program, in coordination with Bye Bye Mattress through the Mattress Recycling Council, collects unwanted mattresses and box spring foundations, sorts and loads these items onto trailers by Culver City staff at the Transfer Station. After the items are loaded a dedicated mattress recycler collects materials from the City to be recycled.

showimage (4).jpeg  


How do I …

  • schedule a bulky item pickup

  • report a broken lid

  • report a broken container

  • report a collection issue

  • start/stop service

  • add another cart or additional service

Or you can call the Environmental Programs and Operations customer service office at (310) 253-6400, Monday – Friday 7:00 am - 3:00 pm.

Sign in online to Culver City Connect with any questions, comments, suggestions or concerns.

Residential Route Trash Collection Map


Additional Containers & Materials

Only the 64-gallon and 96-gallon collection carts supplied by the city will be emptied.  Please do not over-fill carts and do not place additional items on top of or alongside the container. 

Contact the Public Works Environmental Programs and Operations customer service office at (310) 253-6400, Monday – Friday 7:00 am - 3:00 pm to request additional containers. If you are calling after hours, leave a message with your name, phone number and address and the office will follow-up the next business day. Sign in online to Culver City Connect with any questions, comments, suggestions or concerns