The Culver City Fire Department’s Ambulance Operator Program launched in August 2015. Ambulance Operators provide basic life support (BLS) and emergency transportation for the Culver City community.
This position provides Ambulance Operators with a strong background and training for entry into the fire service. Recruitment to establish a hiring list for Ambulance Operator is continual.
Our Ambulance Operators provide basic medical care and transportation to ill and injured persons as Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs). They respond to emergency medical calls and provide basic life support services in accordance with established policies and procedures. They safely operate an emergency vehicle to and from the scene of the emergency and record patient vitals and circumstances of the emergency. It is a non-benefited, part-time position. The work schedule will normally consist of one 24-hour shift per week. View the detailed job bulletin for more information.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent
- Good driving record and no termination from employment in preceding three years
- At time of application, you must possess:
- Valid California Class "C" Driver License
- California State Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certificate*
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Card**
- Possession of a Valid California Motor Vehicle Ambulance Driver Certificate at time of hire
- Adhere to the Department's Uniform and Grooming Standards (Rules and Regulations 205)
Previous EMT and/or fire service experience is highly desirable.
How to apply
Want to join the Culver City Fire Department as an Ambulance Operator? Complete the employment application. Along with your application, you must provide a copy of the items listed in the above Minimum Requirements section as well as your résumé. Once you are ready to submit your completed application and supporting documents, deliver your packet to the Culver City Community Risk Reduction Division located on the second floor of City Hall between the hours of 7:30 am – 5:30 pm, Monday – Thursday. City Hall is located at 9770 Culver Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232.
The selection process will consist of an application review and an oral appraisal interview. If selected to participate in the program, you will need to pass a background check.
*For additional information about EMT Certification, please visit the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services website.