Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Can I apply for different City jobs using one application?

No. The City’s application process calls for an original employment application to be provided for each job.

Can I apply on-line?

Yes, you can apply on-line for some positions. For others, you can download the application and submit it in person or by mail.

Can I fax my application?

No. We do not accept faxed applications.

Can I submit a photocopied employment application?

We must receive an application with an original signature. The application may be a copy, but the signature must be original.

Can I submit my resume instead of the employment application?

No. All civil service positions require that you submit a City application. Sometimes resumes will be accepted for unclassified positions instead of City applications. A resume or supplemental information may be required in addition to the City application. The job announcement will specify the type of application materials that are required for the position.

How many applications can I turn in?

There is no limit on the number of jobs for which you may apply, but only one application is needed for each job. It is not necessary to submit both an on-line application and a paper application.

I think I’m going to be on vacation during the period you will be accepting applications. What do I do?

Submitting an application by the deadline is your responsibility. If you so choose, you may leave your application with a responsible person and have him/her submit it (or mail it) on your behalf.

If I get disqualified from a position, does this mean that I can never apply for this position again?

No. Your disqualification only applies to that specific recruitment and does not impact your ability to re-apply for this position at a future date.

If I get disqualified from one position, can I submit an application for another position?

Yes. Your disqualification from one position does not impact your status in other recruitments or your ability to apply for other positions with the City.

How do I get my name on an eligible list?

Applicants must go through the application process and pass all stages of the examination process to be placed on the eligible list.

How do I let you know that I’m no longer interested in working for the City?

If you no longer wish to be considered for City employment, you can call or send a letter to the Human Resources Department requesting to have your name removed from the eligible list.

My name is on the eligible list. How long will my name remain on the list?

Your name will remain on the eligible list for one year, unless the list is extended by the Civil Service Commission. There are specific causes which will result in the removal of your name from the eligible list. Please contact the Human Resources Department for more information.

What if I’m still interested in working for the City but am not currently available? Will my name be removed from the eligible list?

You can choose to decline to interview for the position up to two (2) times. If you decline to interview a third time, your name will be removed from the eligible list.

I just got a letter stating that I didn’t achieve a passing score. Can I look at the test to see what I did wrong?

All examinations are the property of the City and are not available for review. Depending on the type of examination given, a summary of your performance may be provided at the conclusion of the examination process, i.e., after the eligible list has been established.

I just took an exam today. How long before I find out how I did?

The results of the examination are normally mailed via U.S Mail within two (2) weeks after the examination date.

Can I be interviewed over the telephone?

No. All examinations are administered in designated City testing facilities.

Can I take the test on the internet?

No. All examinations are administered in designated City testing facilities.

Can the test I took for another position a few months ago be used to qualify for this position?

All City examinations are job-related and test the critical knowledge, skills and abilities required of the position. Each time you apply for another position, you will have to go through the application and examination process since different positions have different examination components.

What if I’m not available on the day the test is being given?

The letter inviting you to participate in the examination process will indicate the date(s) the test will be given. If you are not available on the day the test is given, call the number listed on the notification letter to find out if another test date is available. If no other test date is available, your name may be placed on a waiting list to be notified if, and when, another test date is scheduled.

What kind of test will I have to take to get a City job?

All job announcements for civil service positions indicate the specific examination components and the corresponding weights that will be used to evaluate the candidate’s qualifications for the position. The examination process may consist of any combination of one or more of the following: written test (multiple-choice), writing exercise (essay), performance test, typing skills assessment, counseling exercise (simulation), technical oral examination, and/or oral appraisal interview.

What study aids can I use to prepare for the test?

The job announcement will indicate whether or not study aids are available.

I speak a second language. Can I be paid for it?

Sometimes. Only employees who have been tested and proven their proficiency in that language may be eligible to receive Translator Pay. Not everyone on the Translator Pay list will receive Translator Pay as the need for translation on a regular basis must first be identified by the department. When there is a need for translation on a regular basis and there is more than one person in the department/division eligible to receive Translator Pay, this assignment and the Translator Pay will be rotated.

Are the working hours always Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.?

No. The working hours depend on the position. Some departments offer swing, graveyard, and/or rotating shifts but most positions based out of City Hall will have work schedules that revolve around City Hall’s hours of operations - City Hall is open Monday – Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and closed every other Friday.

Do I have to be a resident of Culver City to work for the City?

No. However, you must be able to prove your eligibility to work in the U.S. if appointed to any position.

Does the City offer any summer positions?

 Yes. Recruitments announcing summer positions in the Recreation, Parks and Community Services Department begin as early as April. Positions may include Recreation Leaders, Life Guards, Swim Instructors, etc.

How can I get an internship with the City?

Recruitments announcing the availability of internship positions within a specific department will indicate the desired coursework. Only students who are enrolled in an accredited college or university at the senior class level or higher will be considered for the internship positions.

How will I know when I can apply for a particular position?

You may call our 24-hour Job Hotline, (310)253-5651, routinely check our website for information, or fill out an Interest Card to be notified when applications are being accepted. You will be notified via e-mail if you complete the Interest Card on-line and via U.S. Mail if you complete the Interest Card in person.

I heard there was a vacancy. How can I apply for this position?

Every civil service position has an eligible list from which qualified candidates are employed. The Human Resources Department will announce the recruitment for the position if there is no eligible list OR if there are an insufficient number of candidates remaining on the eligible list. Applications will only be accepted during the period designated on the recruitment bulletin.

If I’m in high school, can I still get a job with the City?

Yes. Student Worker positions are available for students who are juniors or seniors in high school as well as for those that are freshmen, sophomores and juniors in college. There are no recruitment announcements for these types of positions; therefore, students interested in these types of positions should contact the departments directly to express their interest.

I’m ranked #1 on the eligible list but people on lower ranks are getting hired. What can I do?

Placement on the eligible list is not a guarantee or warranty of employment. Your rank is used to determine the order of referral for selection interviews and not the order of hire. The appointing authority can select any candidate from among those referred, regardless of their rank.

What happens if I reject a job offer?

Your rejection of one job offer will not cause your name to be removed from the eligible list. However, it will be noted and should you reject another job offer for a total of two (2) job offers, your name will be removed from the eligible list.

Will I have to go through a background investigation before getting hired?

All information contained in application materials is subject to verification, including employment history and conviction record. The job announcement will specify whether the investigation will include other areas of investigation, e.g. driving record, credit report, etc.

I received a letter stating my application was deferred. What does this mean?

If your application has been deferred, this means two things: a) you were not among the most highly qualified applicants and b) you will not be considered at this time but may receive future consideration. In the past, deferred applicants were reconsidered and invited to participate in the examination process when an insufficient number of applicants passed the examination process.

I received a letter stating my application was incomplete. What can I do?

The letter you received should specify what you can do, if anything, to continue in the recruitment process. The letter you received should specify what additional information is needed and the deadline you have to submit this information to be considered for participation in the examination process.

I received a letter stating I did not meet the minimum requirements. What can I do?

If you are notified that you do not meet the minimum requirements and do not agree with the reason, you may provide additional information that was not included in your original application within the time limits indicated in the letter. For example, an applicant who did not meet the minimum requirements for the Bus Operator Trainee position because he had an accident listed on his DMV printout that occurred within the last three (3) years, may submit a letter from his insurance company stating that the accident was not his fault.

What if I have a police record, can I still apply for City jobs?

Yes. However, the City only considers your conviction record with respect to the duties and responsibilities of the position for which you applied, your age at the time of the conviction, the severity of the crime, and your employment history in the interim. You may or may not be disqualified.

Why can’t I apply for a promotional position if I qualify?

You must be a City employee to be eligible to apply for promotional positions.

Why can’t I just be interviewed to prove that I am qualified?

The applicants who, based on their application, appear to have the education, training, and experience specified on the job announcement will be invited to participate in the examination process. The examination process is job-related and tests the critical knowledge, skills and abilities required of the position. Applicants who pass all stages of the examination process will be placed on an eligible list from which vacancies can be filled. Only the top ranking candidates will be referred to the appointing authority for a selection interview.