The La Ballona Elementary Safe Routes to School Project will install a number of traffic safety improvements in the neighborhood surrounding La Ballona Elementary School to make it safer and more comfortable to walk and bike to school. Proposed improvements include:
- Curb extensions at intersections to shorten pedestrian crossing distances
- New ADA ramps to make it easier to cross the street in a wheelchair or with a stroller
- New high-visibility crosswalks
- New controlled intersections with median refuge islands on Washington Blvd.
- New street trees and pedestrian-scale lighting
- A new protected bike lane on Elenda Street between Culver Blvd. and Washington Blvd.
This project is funded through a California Active Transportation Program Cycle 2 grant and is scheduled for construction beginning in the Spring of 2019. Design and engineering work are ongoing.
The safety improvements on Elenda St. will be temporarily demonstrated between September 15th to 22nd, 2018. Read more about the demonstration and the kick off event on September 15, 2018.
Test the new two way bike lanes and give us feedback regarding the new improvements.
La Ballona Final Project Design Boards
Past Community Meetings:
- Saturday, November 4, 2017: Read about the workshop at the La Ballona Fall Festival.
- Thursday, November 16, 2017: Read about the Open House from 5pm - 6pm and the discussions held during the BPAC meeting.