The next General Municipal Election to elect Culver City Council Members will be consolidated with Los Angeles County's General Election on November 3, 2020.
Those interested in running for City of Culver City City Council must be:
1) A Culver City Resident
2) A Lawfully Registered Voter of Culver City for the 30 days immediately preceding the filing of their nomination papers.
Individuals can begin soliciting campaign funds not more than 24 months before an Election. You may submit a Candidate Intention Form (Form 501) to the City Clerk's Office and if you expect to receive or spend $2,000 or more on your campaign; you’ll need to submit a Statement of Organization Form (Form 410) to the Secretary of State and provide a copy to the City Clerk's office.
To become a Candidate for the 2020 Election, you must receive 20 valid signatures (of registered Culver City voters) on a Nomination Form that will then be verified by the L.A. County Registrar Recorder.
You may contact the City Clerk's Office at 310.253.5851 or you may Email the City Clerk's Office at email@example.com to schedule an appointment to receive specific Election information and your official Nomination papers.
- July 13 - August 7, 2020 at 5:30pm: the first and last day for a potential candidate to file nomination documents with the elections official, as per Elections Code (§§ 10407 and 10510)
- August 7, 2020: Deadline for submission of Candidate Statements
Helpful Links for Potential Candidates
- 2020 Candidate Information Guide
- 2019 Notice of Adjustment to Campaign Limits
- The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) has prepared a useful 35 minute video webinar for candidates and their treasurers. It covers how to get started with your campaign, campaign contributions and restrictions, finances and record keeping, how to complete and file campaign reports, and what to do following the election.
- To better understand committee and candidate responsibilities before, during, and after the election, please consult the Fair Political Practices Commission Candidate Toolkit.
- California Secretary of State Campaign Filing Requirements for Local Potential Candidates
For additional information/material on becoming a candidate, please contact the City Clerk's Office. Sign up to receive emails about upcoming election information.