Calling All Artists!
The City of Culver City is Launching its Artist Laureate Program
A Culver City Artist Laureate will be selected for a two-year appointment January 2020 - December 2021.
The City of Culver City recognizes the many creative artists who are committed to developing their art forms and enriching our community with their exhibits, performances, presentations, and service.
The City will select for a two-year appointment an individual artist from one of three arts discipline categories – fine and visual arts, performing arts, and literary arts – to serve as a cultural ambassador who will raise community consciousness to a greater appreciation of the arts within Culver City.
The Artist Laureate Award will provide access, recognition, and a stipend of $8,000 in support of the artist. The award will recognize artistic excellence, support the continuing development of the artist’s work, and spotlight the important role individual artists play in contributing to a vibrant community, enriching the city’s creative economy, and positively impacting the quality of life for people of all ages.
The Artist Laureate will serve as a cultural ambassador for the City of Culver City.
- Attend community and arts events
- Exhibit/Perform/Engage with the public
- Liaise/Partner with:
- Culver City Unified School District
- Culver City community, non-profit, and cultural institutions
- Culver City business community
Funding for the Culver City Artist Laureate Program is made possible in large part with a grant from the Culver Arts Foundation, which is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to supporting and funding arts and cultural individuals, organizations and institutions in Culver City.
Artist Laureate Award Categories
- Fine and Visual Arts: including 2-Dimensional, 3-Dimensional, and Digital Art
- Performing Arts: including Dance, Theatre, Spoken Word, and Music
- Literary Arts: including Poetry, Novels, Essays, Stage Plays, and Screenplays
Artist Laureate Candidate Requirements
Artist Laureate candidates must:
- Reside or work in Culver City for a minimum of 5 years at time of application;
- Be at least 18 years old at the time of the application;
- Be the principal creator/performer or the sole author of work(s) submitted; and
- Have exhibited, performed, presented, and/or published artistic work in a public context within the last 3 years.
Artist Laureate candidates cannot be enrolled as an undergraduate student in a degree program or enrolled as a graduate student in a program related to the specific arts discipline of this application.
Artist Laureate Award Requirements
The selected Artist Laureate will be required to:
- Obtain a Culver City Business Tax Certificate
- Sign a contract with the City;
- Participate in a program evaluation;
- Provide the City with artwork samples along with permission to reproduce them in perpetuity for purposes of promoting the artist, the Artist Laureate program, and cultural activities in the City of Culver City;
- Secure all rights and licenses required to present his/her artistic work;
- Comply with all City and County requirements and regulations, including obtaining event and programming permits; and
- Perform, exhibit, or present his/her artistic work in accordance with applicable laws, codes and regulations required by all authorities having jurisdiction over such work.
The City will not responsible for any expenses associated with the Artist Laureate appointment that are not covered by the stipend.
Artist Laureate Application Requirements
- Applicants must submit all required materials online by application deadline.
- Applicant finalists will be required to meet in person with the review panel and may be required to attend the Cultural Affairs Commission and/or City Council meeting to answer any questions that should arise.
- Artists may apply on their own (self-nominate) or apply with the support of a nominator.
Artist Laureate Program Important Application Dates
(subject to change)
August 23, 2019 Artist Laureate applications released
September 20, 2019 Posting of responses to general application questions
October 3, 2019, 5:00 PM Online applications due to the City
November 18-22, 2019 Applicant interviews with Review Panel
Review Panel & CAC Artist Laureate Subcommittee meet
December 17, 2019 CAC considers Subcommittee recommendations
January 13, 2020 City Council considers CAC recommendations
January 15, 2020 Official announcement
Artist Laureate appointment commences
Artist Laureate Application Review Process
- Artist Laureate applications will be reviewed by City staff to ensure that the application is complete.
- Complete applications will be evaluated and ranked by an independent peer panel comprising distinguished professionals in the relevant artistic disciplines and the Culver City Cultural Affairs Commission (CAC) Artist Laureate Subcommittee.
- The review panel will make recommendations to the CAC Artist Laureate Subcommittee, who in turn will make recommendations to the Cultural Affairs Commission.
- The City Council will review the recommendation made by the Cultural Affairs Commission and make the final determination concerning the Artist Laureate award.
Artist Laureate Application Review Criteria
Each application will be evaluated and ranked according to the following set of criteria:
- 60 points for Artistic Quality
Artistic quality, originality, and uniqueness of work
Quality will be demonstrated through work samples and synopses.
- 25 points for Potential Community Impact
Artist’s impact in Culver City and the surrounding area
Impact may be demonstrated through regional engagement such as presentation of works, teaching, activities outside a professional academic position, public readings and/or performances, volunteering, mentoring, advocacy, and/or national or global attention.
- 15 points for Professional Development
The record of artist’s professional activities and achievements
Professional development may be demonstrated by proof of continuity and exploration of the art form by the applicant through work samples, artist resume, and artist statement.
The City of Culver City is dedicated to achieving cultural equity through its programs. Cultural equity embodies the values, policies, and practices that ensure that all people—including but not limited to those who have been historically underrepresented based on race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geography, citizenship status, or religion—are represented in the development of arts policy; the support of artists; the nurturing of accessible, thriving venues for expression; and the fair distribution of programmatic, financial, and informational resources.
How To Apply
For more information about the Artist Laureate Program, please contact:
Alicia Ide, Artist Laureate Program Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-253-6005.