Bill Botts Field in Culver City Park is the site of our little league/soccer fields. It was named for a 1960s two-term Councilmember Bill Botts, who fought for the space for the Little League Fields. The park, annexed from the county in 1982, is 40 acres, our largest park to date (2001).
Tellefson Park was a 1976 Bicentennial dedication of park space, formerly a skating rink, the Rollerdrome. It was named for Mike Tellefson, who served the city in a variety of capacities, including Councilmember and City Attorney, for 31 years.
Syd Kronenthal Park was renamed for our (now retired) Director of Human Services, Sydney Kronenthal. That park's prior name was McManus Park. It lies at the foot of McManus Street, which was named by Los Angeles, prior to its annexation to Culver City. Syd Kronenthal and Mike Tellefson proactively promoted park space in Culver City.
Dr. Paul Carlson Park was originally Victory Park, (on property dedicated by the Speedway subdividers in 1927), but was renamed for a young medical missionary, born in Culver City in 1928, who died in the Congo. The prior name, Victory Park, was long thought to be associated with the U.S.A.'s victory in World War I. There is evidence, however, that the wife of Mayor Reve Houck named it Victory Park because "it was a victory to have a park in Culver City," according to daughter, Alene Houck Johnson.
Lindberg Park began as 2 acres dedicated by the Title and Guarantee Trust Co., accepted by the city in 1927. The city received six added lots at no cost, extending the park to Cota St. in 1938. We are not sure of the naming, although there was an early council candidate of that name. Although Charles Lindbergh did visit Culver City, it is spelled differently.
Veterans Memorial Park, renamed in 1949, began as Exposition Park when the first land was acquired in 1938. Many veterans organizations are commemorated on the entry walls of the 1950 Veterans Memorial Building at the edge of the park.
Culver West Park, formerly West End Park, is named for the area of the city in which it is located. That area was an early annexation to the city in 1925, although it still carries a Los Angeles zip code.
Blanco Park was named for Ray Blanco, the developer of the lower hill area. He donated the land in 1951 for the use of a park in perpetuity.
El Marino Park was established on land purchased in 1954 by the city from Washington Improvement Co. developer, Camillo Cereghino, and his wife Marie, in 1953. It was originally called Culver Park.
Coombs Park was named for a prominent early family. Dan Coombs, was an early city trustee (before elected officials were called councilmembers), a local contractor, who built many homes and Fatty Arbuckle's Plantation Café. The Coombs family still has a presence with son, Brick Coombs' law office, now grandson Ron's law office.
Heritage Park is on the former Studio Drive-in site. The developer of the area, the Lee Group/Braemar Urban Ventures, named it to honor everyone's heritage.
Media Park, adjacent to the Ivy Substation, was named by a pharmacist from Palms. City founder, Harry Culver, offered a trip around the world to the winning entry in his contest to name the park. Actually in Los Angeles, it has been on a long term lease, since 1987.
Fox Hills Park was named for the Fox Hills area which was a 1964 annexation to Culver City. This was part of the first major CC Redevelopment project.