The Washington Building was commissioned by Charles E. Lindblade. Its two- year construction began in 1926. Lindblade, for whom a Culver City street was named, was a business associate of the city's founder, Harry H. Culver. The master builders were Orlopp and Orlopp, who were listed on site in 1927. The building designer was Arthur D. Scholz, with Orville L. Clark mentioned in old records as the probable consulting architect. Clark went on to design other local buildings, like Culver City's 1928 City Hall and the Fire Station next door. The Washington Building was described by Carson Anderson in the owner's application for the National Register of Historic Places, as "Builder's Beaux Arts Classicism." The foundation and walls are both reinforced concrete. Anderson felt the areas of significance of the building fell into the categories of Architecture, Commerce and Community Planning and Development. The period of significance on the form was considered to be 1926-1940, with Lindblade listed as the significant person.
Lindblade(1887-1940), a real estate developer, served both as vice-president and president of Harry Culver's real estate firm. This building was constructed during Lindblade's most notable years, professionally, when he and Culver actively developed Culver City. These also appear to be his most visible years in the community. Some of his activities listed in the 1929 Who's Who in California included service as a director of Security First National Bank of Los Angeles, Pacific Building and Loan Association, (which financed much of the city's early development), and he also served on the board of the Pacific Military Academy. Lindblade was a founding member of the Culver City Chamber of Commerce, and he served as president of the Culver City Realty Board in 1927, and director of the California Real Estate Association (1928-29). He and his wife ,Joan Fox Lindblade, lived in nearby Cheviot Hills. He later worked with Earl Eastham's real estate company. Eastham was Culver's brother in law.
The Washington Building reportedly cost $30,000 at construction. Its triangular shape earned its nickname "The Flatiron Building," although it is only two stories tall, unlike the famous tall one in New York. The structure occupies 135 feet of Washington Boulevard frontage, stretching 152 feet along Culver Boulevard. The two long sides converge to a flattened east wall of 12 feet (where Starbucks is located), while the west wall measures 68 feet wide.
In 1931, the Washington Building housed the local post office, until the Gateway Station was completed down the street in 1940. Other notable occupants of the building included the Draft Board during World War II, the MGM Fan Club after the war, a dentist named Dr. Connelly, the American National Insurance Co., an attorney named F. A. Berry, a photographer named Chester Graves, and the Lindblade Real Estate and Development Company from 1929-1932.
The Washington Building was awarded Landmark status by the City of Culver City in accordance to Chapter 38, C.C.M.C., which protects and preserves its exterior. It is also on the National Register of Historic Places, as are Culver City's Culver Hotel, the Citizen Building and the nearby Ivy Substation.