Timeline of LAX Overflight issue and the City's involvement
Please visit the City's LAX Aircraft Overflights page for resources, Frequently Asked Questions, and information on how to report overflight/noise issues.
- August 22, 2019 - The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit granted permission to the City to intervene in the lawsuit brought in June 2019 by the City of Los Angeles, challenging changes made by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in three flight paths for arriving aircraft at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
- July 19, 2019 - The City has requested permission from the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit to intervene in the lawsuit brought in June 2019 by the City of Los Angeles, challenging changes made by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in three flight paths for arriving aircraft at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).
- November 30, 2018 - The United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit denied the City’s Petition for relief from the impacts of the FAA Southern California Metroplex Airspace Redesign (“Metroplex Project”). The City argued there was an absence of required environmental review in the FAA’s Environmental Assessment (“EA”) for the Metroplex Project. The Court found that the FAA’s analysis of noise and air quality impacts was defensible and reasonable. The City Council of Culver City still strongly believes that the Metroplex Project has ongoing negative effects on the quality of life in the City. Therefore, the City will continue to coordinate with neighboring cities, as well as state and federal elected officials, to find regional solutions to these issues. View the judgment and memorandum.
- October 18, 2018 - The City's outside legal counsel presented the City's Oral Arguments before the United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit as part of the City's lawsuit against the Federal Aviation Administration. - The audio transcript of the proceedings is available online.
- October 17, 2018 - Council Member Göran Eriksson and City staff traveled to Washington, D.C. to meet with staff from the offices of Senators Feinstein and Harris; the House and Senate Aviation Subcommittees; the National League of Cities; and the City's federal legislative consultant at Van Scoyoc Associates. Culver City's delegation advanced the City's position on requesting the timely implementation of the noise provisions in the FAA Reauthorization Bill, noise issues from overflights related to the implementation of the NextGen program, and coalition building.
- October 5, 2018 - The President signed into law: H.R. 302, the “FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018,” which reauthorizes the Federal Aviation Administration and related revenue authorities through September 30, 2023; modifies the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s disaster assistance authorities; provides $1.68 billion in emergency supplemental appropriations for the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Community Development Fund for long-term disaster recovery; further integrates unmanned aircraft systems into the Nation’s airspace systems; and establishes a United States International Development Finance Corporation. The new law includes several provisions sought by the City.
- September 24, 2018 - Van Scoyoc Associates presents an update to the City Council regarding the City's federal legislative advocacy efforts related to the noise and environmental issues surrounding the Southern California Metroplex Project.
- September 19, 2018 - The U.S. Senate sends letter to Chairman Thune and Ranking Member Nelson regarding Aircraft Noise - Senate FAA Legislation.
- August 13, 2018 - Culver City sends letters regarding The Federal Aviation Administration Act of 2018 to Senators Feinstein and Harris.
- June 29, 2018 - Culver City's Reply Brief gets filed in FAA litigation.
- May 17, 2018 - Culver City sends letters regarding Airplane Noise to Senators Feinstein and Harris.
- May 3, 2018 - Culver City sends letter to New York representative Grace Meng supporting noise amendments to House FAA bill.
- March 26, 2018 - The City Council presented a certificate of recognition to June Lehrman for her service on the LAX Community Noise Roundtable.
- March 16, 2018 to May 15, 2018 - Briefs filed in City's Lawsuit with FAA:
- January 23, 2017 - The FAA holds the SoCal Metroplex Workshop at Veterans Memorial facility.
- October 28, 2016 - Culver City files lawsuit against FAA over inadequate Environmental Assessment of the Southern California Metroplex project related to proposed flight paths over the City.
- October 25, 2016 - Culver City distributes a press release announcing Culver City's plans to sue FAA on flight path changes.
- October 20, 2016 - The City Council subcommittee on LAX/overflights holds a community meeting. Documents related to the presentations and discussion:
- September 2, 2016 - The FAA releases Final Environmental Assessment (EA) Report for the SoCal Metroplex and a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) and Record of Decision.
- March 30, 2016 - Culver City sends comment letter to U.S. Department of Transportation on Airplane Noise Standards.
- December 9, 2015 - Culver City sends a letter about the FAA Accountability Act to state and federal officials.
- October 8, 2015 - Culver City submits supplemental comments on the Southern California Metroplex Draft Environmental Assessment (EA). In addition, the City forwards over 800 comments from members of the Community, to ensure the FAA understands the impacts of the LAX flight paths on Culver City residents and businesses.
- Southern California Metroplex website
- Culver City September 8, 2015 comments to FAA
- Culver City October 8, 2015 Supplemental Comments to FAA
- FAA Draft Environmental Assessment Report
- FAA Letter on Metroplex Public Workshops
- FAA Metroplex Presentation
- LAWA SoCal Metroplex EA Process
- Metroplex Fact Sheet
- September 8, 2015 - Culver City submits comments on the Southern California Metroplex Draft Environmental Assessment (EA).
- August 27, 2015 - Culver City has its second community meeting on LAX Airport - Overflight and Other Impacts.
- February 24, 2015 - Culver City has its first community meeting on LAX Airport - Overflight and Other Impacts. Documents related to the February 24, 2015 discussion:
- February 17, 2015 - Culver City sends a letter about LAX Impacts to state and federal officials.
[Click/tap here to view an extended timeline of Culver City's Activities on LAX Overflights from November 10, 2014 to August 22, 2016.]