If you have a medical or fire emergency dial 911




Fire Department Page Banner


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Carbon Monoxide--what is it and what do I need to do about it?

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced from heaters, fireplaces, furnaces, and many types of appliances and cooking devices. It can also be produced from vehicles that are idling. Click here for more information. Senate bill 183, also known as the "Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act," requires that a carbon monoxide (CO) device be installed in all dwelling units intended for human occupancy.

Emergency exits in place of business--can I modify the exits to prevent theft?

You can install alarm devices or other equipment that can give a warning and provide a delayed exit. Contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at (310) 253-5925 for the acceptable installation requirements before modifying or changing any exit door.

Fire alarm system--do I have to do anything to maintain or service it?

Yes. Per the California Fire Code, Article 10, you are responsible for the system and you are required to keep the system operating properly at all times and under the control of a qualified person. You can find the standard for the testing, maintenance and record keeping in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) pamphlet Standard 72 available from NFPA (800) 344-3555.

Fire extinguishers--does the fire department service them?

No, but you may contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at (310) 253-5925 for the latest information on state-approved and Culver City-approved contractors.

Fire extinguishers--who services them?

Contact the Fire Prevention Division (310) 253-5925 for the latest information on contractors who are acceptable to the state and Culver City.

Fire sprinkler inspections--will the fire department show me how to do my own quarterly inspections?

Yes. Contact the Community Risk Reduction Division (310) 253-5925 to make an appointment.

Fire sprinkler system contractor--where can I find one?

The Community Risk Reduction Division has a list of registered contractors who install fire sprinklers. You can also go to the yellow pages for any licensed contractor registered as a C-16 Fire Protection Contractor. You can also contact the California Contractors State License Board for a complete list of licensed C-16 contractors.

Fire sprinklers and home remodel--do I have to put fire sprinklers in my house if I remodel?

Culver City Ord. # 97-014, Section 1003.2.9. An Automatic fire-extinguishing (sprinkler) system shall be installed in every new building in the City, including any new residential building, hereinafter constructed or moved into the City, regardless of area separation or type of construction.

Section 1003.2.9(1) EXCEPTION: New buildings less than 500 square feet may be exempted with the concurrence of the Fire Chief and the Building Official.

Section 1003.2.9(2) In existing commercial, industrial and multi-family residential occupancies, fire sprinklers shall be required in existing and new portions of the building for height increase, area increases of 50% or more, and any occupancy change that increases fire risk or hazard.

Section 1003.2.9(3) Existing single family dwellings shall be required to install a full automatic fire sprinkler system in existing and new portions of the building when a story is added, more than 75% of the existing roof structure is replaced, or floor area is increased by more than 75%.

Fire sprinklers and home remodel--do I have to put them in the garage?

If the garage is detached from the main building without any physical connection between the two buildings, then fire sprinklers are not required in the garage.

Fire sprinklers and home remodel--do I have to put them in the new portions of the building only?

When fire sprinklers are required, the installation must be in the new and existing portions of the building.

Fire sprinklers in my place of business--am I responsible for maintenance or service?

Yes. You are required to provide quarterly maintenance and inspections per the California Health and Safety Code, Title 19, and a complete inspection is required by a licensed C-16 Fire Protection Contractor every five years. Contact Fire Prevention (310) 253-5925 for forms, permit fee information, and testing requirements.

Fire sprinklers--can I install them myself?

Yes. If you can show you have the ability to perform this installation, contact Fire Prevention (310) 253-5925 for more information.

Hazardous material spill--who do I contact?

Call 911.

Hazardous materials--does Culver City have a program?

Yes. You should contact the hazardous materials specialist to ensure you are in compliance. (310) 253-5925.

Hazardous material--what is it?

A hazardous material is any product that has a warning, danger, or caution sticker on the container and presents a physical or health hazard. Example: I want to open a new plastics business in Culver City; do I need to speak to anyone regarding the chemicals I use? YES! It is best to contact the hazardous materials specialist at (310) 253-5925 prior to signing a lease to ensure that the building can be used for your type of operation.

Home security system--can I connect my smoke detector so it dispatches the fire department?

No. The California Building Code requires that the residential smoke detector is local, for occupant notification only.

You can have a commercial type fire alarm system installed. That system, after review and approval from the fire department, can dispatch for fire response.

How do I get rid of old paint stored in my garage?

Call 888CLEANLA/(888) 253-2652 or visit Clean LA for the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event schedule.

Permit and plan check fees--where do I find the fee schedule?

Check out the City's Fees and Charges Schedule.

Smoke Alarms--how often should I change the batteries?

You should change your batteries twice a year and we recommend you change them each time you set your clocks for standard time and daylight saving time.

Are non-profit organizations allowed to continue operating?

Yes, but only if they provide essential services as described in the order. This would include non-profit operating food pantries, providing housing and services for homeless residents, and many other critical services.

Can grocery stores, farmers' markets, and other food retailers remain open?

Yes. Grocery stores, certified farmers’ markets, water retailers, produce stands, supermarkets, food banks, convenience stores, and similar food retail establishments are encouraged to remain open to provide food and pet supplies to the public. When visiting these establishments, please help retailers maintain at least six feet minimum distance between patrons, including by providing ample space while shopping and waiting in line.

Can I go shopping for things other than food/groceries?

Yes. You can shop for anything that is related to health care, office supplies, hardware supplies, and at businesses listed as essential in the Order. You should minimize unnecessary trips.

Can I go to the store (grocery store, market, corner store, food bank, etc.) to buy food and other things?

Yes, you can go to the store to buy food, drinks and goods for yourself, for those in your home, and for anyone else that needs help. This also includes medical supplies at a pharmacy and supplies at a hardware store.  When out of your house always maintain six feet of distance from other people.

Can I leave home to care for my elderly parents or friends who require assistance to care for themselves? Or a friend or family member who has disabilities?

Yes. Be sure that you protect them and you by following social distancing guidelines such as washing hands before and after, using hand sanitizer, maintaining at least 6 feet of distance when possible, and coughing or sneezing into a tissue.

Can I leave home to exercise?

If you will be both outdoors and not in close contact with people, yes. Otherwise, no, because fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities will be closed.

Can I still get deliveries from online stores?

Yes. The mail and other delivery services to your home can continue to function, as can food delivery services.  Just keep six feet between you and the person delivering the item.

Can I still order the things I need online and have them delivered to my residence?

Yes. The Order identifies businesses that deliver goods or services directly to residences may continue to operate.  But keep your social distance by staying six feet from the person delivering the item.

Can I still seek non-essential medical care and doctor’s appointments?

To the extent possible, all health care visits that are not cancelled or rescheduled should be done remotely.

Can I take public transportation (bus, subway, train)?

Only for essential travel. Public transit will continue to operate on a limited basis. When using public transit, maintain at least six feet of distance from others. 

Can I use ride share, on demand service, or a taxi?

Only for essential travel. You should avoid being in a vehicle with many other people. In circumstances under which such transportation is needed, you must practice social distancing, cover your mouth and nose if you cough or sneeze, use hand sanitizer or wash your hands before and after rides. Airlines, taxis, and other private transportation providers, like Uber and Lyft, providing transportation services necessary for essential activities and other purposes are expressly authorized in the “Safer at Home” Order.

Can I visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility, or other residential care facility?

Generally no. There are limited exceptions, such as if you are going to the hospital with a minor who is under 18 or someone who is developmentally disabled and needs assistance. For most other situations, the Order prohibits non-necessary visitation to these kinds of facilities. If you need more information, please contact the facility directly by phone. This is difficult, but necessary in order to protect hospital staff and other patients.

Does the Order allow me to have my children in childcare? Will my daycare be shut down?

Childcare facilities may only operate if they comply with the conditions of this Order as they related to child care. Among these conditions, children must be cared for in groups of 12 or fewer, groups of children may not mix with each other, and providers may not circulate between groups. 

How will I entertain my kids? Can we go to the playground or arrange playdates?

Do your best to entertain your children with games, reading, puzzles, and TV/videos at home. Engage them in educational online tools. However, you should not take them to the playground or arrange playdates. Children are not able to maintain social distance, and even adults are prohibited from socializing with friends in this manner. It is essential that we stop the spread of the virus by not having in-person social interactions. 

I am currently on vacation outside the City--Does the Order allow me to return home?

Yes. You should maintain social distancing on your way home, and then you will be subject to the limitations in this Order. If you prefer to stay indoors at your current location, you are encouraged to follow this Order while outside the City of Los Angeles in order to protect yourself and others.

I’m visiting and staying in a hotel, with family/friends, or in a short term rental. What should I do? Can I go home?

If you have a car and can return home via travel, you may do so if you are following social distancing protocols. If you have a flight or other travel, you should check first with the carrier to see if they are still operating and what protocols they recommend. You are strongly encouraged to shelter in place when you arrive at your destination to avoid infecting anyone else in your home community.

If you need to stay longer, coordinate with your accommodations as best you can.

If my child’s school is providing food or meals, can I leave home to go to the school to pick up the food or meals?


Is this order mandatory?

Yes. This is a legally enforceable order. It is against the law to violate this Order.

Should I stock up on food, necessities like toilet paper, and on medicines?

No. You will continue to be able to purchase these items whenever you need them, as stores selling necessary items like grocery stores, pharmacies, and hardware stores will remain open and are frequently restocking. Please continue to buy normal quantities of these items on the same schedule you normally do. This will ensure that there is enough for everyone.

What about Government Employees?

This Order does not apply to employees of government agencies working within the course and scope of their public service employment.  Employees of the City of Culver City shall follow any current or future directives issued by the City Manager.

What about infrastructure and construction?

Individuals may leave their residences to provide any services or goods or perform any work necessary to the operations, maintenance and manufacturing of essential infrastructure, including without limitation:

  • Construction of commercial and institutional buildings, and residential buildings and housing
  • Airport operations, food supply, concessions, and construction
  • Port operations and construction.
  • Water, sewer, gas, electrical, oil extraction and refining.
  • Roads, highways, public transportation and rail.
  • Solid waste collection and removal.
  • Flood control and watershed protection.
  • Internet and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services).
  • And manufacturing and distribution companies deemed essential to the supply chains of the above industries.

What are essential activities and what businesses that will stay open?

The following essential activities will remain open:

  • City/County government services:
    • Police stations
    • Fire stations
    • the Jail
    • Garbage/sanitation
    • Public Transportation
    • Water, power, and gas utilities
    • Public works construction, including commercial, office, institutional and housing construction
  • Health care operations, including:
    • Hospitals
    • Clinics
    • Dentists
    • Pharmacies
    • Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies
    • Medical and scientific research
    • Laboratories
    • Healthcare suppliers
    • Home healthcare services providers
    • Veterinary care providers
    • Mental health providers
    • Physical therapists and chiropractors
    • Manufacturers and suppliers
    • Healthcare operations does not include fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities
  •  Food providers, including:
    • Restaurants offering take-out, delivery or drive-thru. No dine-in service.
    • Grocery stores
    • Water retailers
    • Certified farmers’ markets
    • Farm and produce stands
    • Supermarkets
    • Convenience stores
    • Warehouse stores
    • Food banks
    • Convenience stores
    • Pet supply
    • Take-out from restaurants, drive-thru restaurants, and delivery from restaurants
  • Organizations and businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services (including gang prevention and intervention, domestic violence and homeless services agencies)
  • Gas service stations, auto supply, mobile auto repair operations, auto repair shops, bicycle repair shops and related facilities.
  • Fully automated or self-service car washes. 
  • Car rental companies 
  • Hardware and building supply stores and nurseries.
  • Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, custodial/janitorial workers, handyman services, funeral home workers and morticians, moving services, HVAC installers, carpenters, landscapers, gardeners, property managers, private security personnel and other service providers who provide services to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation to properties and other essential activities.
  • Day laborers, day labor centers 
  • Banks, credit unions, financial institutions and insurance companies.
  • Businesses providing mailing and shipping services, including post office boxes.
  • Laundromats/laundry service
  • Newspapers, television news, radio, magazine, podcasts and journalism. 
  • Educational institutions, including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities -- for purposes of facilitating distance learning or performing essential functions provided that social distancing of six-feet per person is maintained to the greatest extent possible.
  • Leasing agents, and professional services such as leasing and real estate transactions when necessary to comply with legally mandated activity. 
  • Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home, including businesses that provide storage for products needed for people to work from home.
  • Utility companies and other businesses that supply other essential businesses with the support, services, or supplies necessary to operate, provided that strict social distancing is maintained. 
  • Phone retail sales and servicing 
  • Individuals or businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, beverages or goods directly to residences or businesses, including rail and trucking.
  • Airlines, taxis, ride sharing services, car rental companies, and other private transportation services providing transportation services necessary for essential activities and other purposes expressly authorized in this Order.
  • Home-based care for disabled persons, seniors, adults, or children.
  • Residential facilities and shelters for disabled persons, seniors, adults, and children.
  • Professional services, such as legal, payroll or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities.
  • Hotels, motels, shared rental units and similar facilities.
  • Military/Defense Contractors/FFRDC (Federally Funded Research and Development Centers)
  • Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees exempted in this Order to work as permitted, under restrictions contained in the Order.

What do I do about my kids? I have to work.

The Order allows you to take steps necessary to take your children to authorized childcare. Otherwise, you should address childcare needs as you are able given the constraints of the situation.

What do I do about my loved one who needs care from me?

You are permitted to provide care or to help with getting supplies for loved ones. But don’t provide care or pick up supplies if you are sick and, instead, find someone else to do it. If you are sick, please try to self-isolate or take other steps not to expose anyone else to your illness.

What happens if I leave the City to go on a planned vacation?

The Order requires that you stay in your place of residence. Traveling runs the risk of spreading the virus to other areas and exposing new populations. Do not travel. As explained above, if you live outside of the City of Los Angeles, you are allowed to travel to and from work if your work is essential business, or if you need to travel to the City of Los Angeles, for another essential service like medical appointment.

What if I am diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus or have been exposed to someone who was?

If you have been diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus, you will need to be isolated to protect those around you. If you were exposed to someone who was diagnosed with the COVID-19 virus, you should quarantine for the recommended time in order to not expose others if you happen to have the virus yourself. Contact your healthcare provider if you have additional questions, or the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s website

What if I need to visit a health care provider?

If you are feeling sick, please first call your doctor, a nurse hotline, or an urgent care center. 

Do not go to the emergency room of a hospital unless you have deemed that you have an actual emergency. 

For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence to work for or obtain services at any health care provider, including hospitals, clinics, dentists, pharmacies, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, medical and scientific research facilities, laboratories, healthcare suppliers, home healthcare services providers, veterinary care providers, mental health providers, physical therapists and chiropractors, cannabis dispensaries with medicinal permits, or any related and/or ancillary healthcare services, manufacturers and suppliers.  Health care providers do not include exercise gyms and similar facilities. 

What is the "Safer at Home" Order?

Residents of the City of Culver City are required to stay inside their homes unless they are engaged in certain “essential activities.” On those occasions when you are out of your home for necessary tasks, stay at least six feet away from others.


  • Go to the grocery, convenience or warehouse store
  • Go to the pharmacy to pick up medications and other healthcare necessities
  • Go to medical appointments (check with your doctor or provider first)
  • Go to a restaurant for take-out, delivery or drive-thru
  • Care or support a friend or family member
  • Take a walk, ride your bike, hike, jog and be in nature for exercise — just keep at least six feet between you and others in the community. 
  • Walk your pets and take them to the veterinarian if necessary
  • Help someone to get necessary supplies


  • Go to work unless you are providing essential services as defined by the Order
  • Visit friends and family if there is no urgent need
  • Maintain less than 6 feet of distance from others when you go out
  • Visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility, or other residential care facility

What is the difference between “safer at home” and “social distancing”?

Safer at home is a stricter form of social distancing. There are some differences. Safer at home means:

  • Stay home (stay unexposed and do not expose others)
  • Only go out for essential services
  • Stay six feet or more away from others
  • Don’t gather in groups

The other concepts from social distancing will continue to apply when you are out shopping or walking or going to the doctor. These include washing hands, using hand sanitizer, disinfecting surfaces, not going out if sick, and staying at least six feet away from others at all times.

What should I do if I’m sick or a family member is sick and needs to go to the hospital or a medical provider? How can I protect others?

If possible, walk or drive yourself to the hospital or medical provider. If someone else in your home is sick and can drop you off, that is another good option. 

Wear a cloth face covering to prevent exposing others.

What should I do if I’m sick or a family member is sick?

If you are feeling sick, please first call your primary care doctor, a nurse hotline, or an urgent care center before going to the hospital. Check online resources like the CDC website if you are worried that you or a loved one has the COVID-19 virus. Do not go to the emergency room of a hospital unless you have deemed that you have an actual emergency. Call 911 or go to the emergency room if you are experiencing a medical emergency. 

When does the Order go into effect and how long will it last?

The Order went into effect immediately after midnight, starting at 11:59 p.m., Friday, March 20, 2020.

The Order is currently set to expire on April 19, 2020. The duration can be either shortened or extended by the City. We want to be sure the Order is in place for only as long as necessary, and the City, in coordination with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, will be closely monitoring the situation every day in order to determine what adjustments are appropriate.

Who counts as a family member?

A family member includes anyone you live with, anyone who is a legal relative of yours, or anyone you treat as a family member.

Why is this happening now?

This Emergency Order is being issued now because it is urgent that we slow and stop the spread of COVID-19 in the City of Culver City.

The virus spreads easily, and this Order is intended to prevent the spread of this disease from overwhelming our healthcare system. The goal here is to “flatten the curve” to slow down the spread of the virus and ensure we have adequate health care resources for those who get sick with COVID-19 and those who need emergency medical care for accidents, heart attacks, strokes, and other routine medical conditions. 

I am interested in getting an Emergency Medical Service (EMS) Incident Report--what do I do?

You must present a request for a copy of an EMS report in person to the Culver City Fire Department Administration Office located on the third floor of Culver City City Hall, 9770 Culver Boulevard, Culver City, CA 90232.

  • Patient Requesting Copy:  Photo identification is required and a waiver must be signed by the patient.
  • Family Member of Deceased Patient Requesting Copy:  Family member can obtain copy of EMS report with proof of death (Death Certificate, photo identification, and a waiver must be signed). 
  • An attorney can obtain a copy with a signed release form from the patient or via subpoena.
  • Parent or Guardian Requesting Copy of minor's EMS Report:  A parent or guardian can obtain a copy of a minor's EMS report with child's birth certificate and parent/guardian Identification.
  • The cost of obtaining a copy of the report is $5.00. Please make checks payable to the CITY OF CULVER CITY.

Where can I safely get rid of expired or unwanted medicine?

SAFE Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events*

*Note: It is illegal for household hazardous waste collection centers and events to collect controlled substances. You must take controlled substances to an approved Controlled Substance Public Disposal Location.

Prescription Drug Take Back Day Events

The Police Department, in partnership with the Drug Enforcement Administration, typically hosts a collection event in April and/or October of each year.

Why can't I go to any hospital that I want?

It is the Culver City Fire Department's policy to try, whenever possible, to transport each patient to his or her hospital of choice. However, depending on the severity of a patient's condition, we cannot always spend the additional time it would take to reach a patient’s choice hospital. In addition, mandates require paramedics to take certain types of patients, i.e., serious traffic accidents, to the nearest Trauma Center. Hospitals may also divert paramedics when they are extremely busy to allow for more rapid treatment.

Why do I have to pay for transport to the hospital?

Because not every member of the community utilizes these services equally, it is a way for the city to recover some of the cost associated with the operation of a municipal fire department.

Why does dispatch send a fire truck when I called for paramedics?

Most medical emergencies require multiple personnel to perform the various tasks associated with patient care.

How do I become a firefighter?

If you have graduated from high school or have your GED, and have participated in Los Angeles or Orange County Fire Chiefs’ Physical Ability Test (CPAT), and positions are available, you may apply by contacting the City’s Human Resources Department. You could also find a local junior college with a fire technology major, or a fire academy, and enroll while waiting for positions to become available.

I am interested in getting a Fire Incident Report--what do I do?

The Culver City Fire Department develops Fire Incident Reports for all fires within the City of Culver City. The cost of obtaining a copy of a report is $5.00 payable to the CITY OF CULVER CITY.  Requests can be submitted by U.S. Mail (Culver City Fire Department, 9770 Culver Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232) or via email through this link Fire Incident and Investigation Reports.  The email request must include contact information and the fire incident date, location and name of involved.

Is there a difference between a fire truck and a fire engine?

Yes, there is. A fire engine has hose, a water tank, a pump (to pump water) and a small assortment of ladders. A fire truck usually does not have a pump, hose, or water tank, but has a tall ladder fixed to the truck and over 100 feet of portable ladders along with additional equipment. The fire truck is most often thought of the "Hook and Ladder" with a tillerman steering the rear of the trailer section of the ladder.

Leaking fire hydrant--what do I do?

Please call Golden State Water for assistance and hydrant service at (800) 999-4033.

What are the qualifications for firefighter?

Each department has slightly different qualifications, but for the Culver City Fire Department you need to have graduated from high school or have a GED and participated in the Los Angeles or Orange County Fire Chiefs’ Physical Ability Test (CPAT). These qualifications may change without notice so it is best to check with the City’s Human Resources Department prior to applying.

When does the department hire firefighters?

The fire department hires additional firefighters when positions become available through retirements or after injuries. There is no specific time of year when positions become available. The best way to check for openings is to visit the Human Resources Department or give them a call at (310) 253-5640 and ask when they anticipate hiring entry-level firefighters.

Why do I always see fire trucks parked at the grocery store?

Because firefighters are required to work a 24-hour tour of duty, they shop for and prepare their meals each day. They do this because it is more convenient when responding to emergency calls.

How do I ensure I have installed my child’s car seat properly?

Visit the California Highway Patrol (CHP) website for detailed info. If you are not confident on how to properly secure your child in a safety seat, contact your local CHP Office and ask to speak with a passenger safety technician. Culver City’s Local Office is:

West Los Angeles CHP (565)

6300 Bristol Parkway

Culver City, CA 90230

(310) 642-3939

Office hours: Monday – Friday - 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

I would like to host a public education event--what do I do?

Contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at (310) 253-5925.

I would like to schedule a fire station tour--what do I do?

Culver City Fire Station tours are conducted only on Fridays, except the first Friday of the month. Tours are available at 10:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m. Groups of children must have one adult for every six children. Our station tours are designed for schools and organizations within the Culver City. Citizens of Culver City interested in touring the Fire Stations are encouraged to attend our Annual Fire Service Day, an open house event held in May.

Tours are conducted at:

  • Fire Station 1 - Headquarters, 9600 Culver Boulevard
  • Fire Station 2 - 11252 Washington Boulevard
  • Fire Station 3 - 6030 Bristol Parkway


Submit a tour request

Where can I learn CPR?

Periodically, the Department hosts Hands-Only CPR events. You can like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to keep up-to-date on upcoming events.

The American Heart Association and the American Red Cross offer CPR Certification Courses.