The La Ballona Elementary Safe Routes to School Project will install a number of traffic safety improvements in the neighborhood surrounding La Ballona Elementary School to make it safer and more comfortable to walk and bike to school. Proposed improvements include:
- Curb extensions at intersections to shorten pedestrian crossing distances
- New ADA ramps to make it easier to cross the street in a wheelchair or with a stroller
- New high-visibility crosswalks
- New controlled intersections with median refuge islands on Washington Blvd.
- New street trees and pedestrian-scale lighting
- A new protected bike lane on Elenda Street between Culver Blvd. and Washington Blvd.
This project is funded through a California Active Transportation Program Cycle 2 grant and is scheduled to go to City Council in May 2019. Design and engineering work are currently ongoing.
You can provide feedback on the proposals for this project, for the Public Works Department's and City Council's consideration, at the following feedback survey before March 25, 2019 11:59PM (feedback flyer displayed below). For more information regarding the boards at the Open House please scroll below.
Project feedback survey for March 16, 2019 Open House at the La Ballona Elementary School.
Past Community Meetings and Outreach Events:
- Saturday, November 4, 2017: Read about the workshop at the La Ballona Fall Festival.
- Thursday, November 16, 2017: Read about the Open House from 5pm - 6pm and the discussions held during the BPAC meeting.
- Saturday, August 26, 2018: Project booth at Fiesta La Ballona 2018
- Saturday, September 08, 2018: Open house displaying:
- Saturday, September 15-22: Read about the demonstration of the Elenda St. two-way parking protected bikeways at the SCAG Experience Elenda: Go Human event and the final Experience Elenda Demonstration Report.
- Saturday, March 16, 2019: Open house displaying: