Outdoor Dining Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Culver City Business StorefrontsIf you would like to apply for an Outdoor Dining Permit, the City of Culver City allows for Outdoor Dining at restaurants through an Outdoor Dining License process described in the attached Outdoor Dining Standards and Procedures. A summary of the process is below:

To complete the application process, follow the simple steps below:

  1. Fill out the application.
  2. Read through the Outdoor Dining Standards and Procedures on the Public Right-Of-Way and follow application procedures based on Standards.
  3. Bring the completed application form, the plans, pictures, and the equipment list to the Engineering counter at City Hall (contact to confirm a date/time).
  4. There is a $750.00 charge for the one-time application fee.
  5. Plan sets (either 8.5 X 11 or 11 X 17 preferred) must be submitted directly to the Engineering Division (Exhibit Example). Plan set Exhibits as outlined in the Standards must include:
    1. Exhibit A – Site plan with inventory of tables and chairs
    2. Exhibit B- Photographs of manufacturers’ cut sheets depicting any physical barriers or design elements, which will be used in the outdoor dining area;
    3. Exhibit C- Photographs of the furniture, which will be used in the outdoor dining area;

The Engineering Division will advise the applicant, once the application has been approved.  The Outdoor Dining Permit may then be obtained directly from Engineering. 

The following will be required at the time of issuance:

  1. A check for the maintenance deposit in the amount of $500.00 (the amount may be higher if physical construction is required);

  2. A check for the annual sidewalk café license fee in the amount calculated in your license agreement ($13.00 per square foot of sidewalk area, per year.) The fee will be collected annually by the Culver City Finance Department.  Initially, the fee is prorated from the time you sign the license agreement through the end of the year.  The following year, and thereafter, you may choose to pay the amount yearly, semi-annually, or monthly.  Monthly billing will carry a moderate processing fee as determined by resolution of City Council.

  3. Proof that your business has liability insurance: $1,000,000 per occurrence and $2,000,000 in the aggregate. (Insurance Example).  

  4. Proof that your business has worker’s compensation insurance as required by State law;

  5. An additional insured endorsement naming the City of Culver City, members if its City Council, boards and commissions, officers, agents, and its employees as additional insured;

  6. A check for a one-time Sewer Facility Charge (SFC.)  This fee is required for all indoor and outdoor dining facilities.  It is generated by both the City of Culver City and the City of Los Angeles for sewage usage and is calculated by the number of seats and the square footage of the dining facility.

  7. Lastly, you will need a Business License from the City of Culver City prior to your start of operations.

     Please note that failure to provide all of the above will delay the issuance of your outdoor dining permit.

If you have any questions regarding the above or the procedure for obtaining an Outdoor Dining Permit, please call the Engineering Division, 310-253-5600 and City staff will assist you.