Leaf Blower Restrictions
- Operation of leaf blowers within the City of Culver City shall be permitted only between:
8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- No leaf blower shall be operated without a proper muffler. No more than one leaf blower at a time shall be used at any residence.
- Before beginning a job, operators of leaf blowers shall check the wind direction and limit operation to avoid blowing debris into open doors and windows of nearby residences.
- Before beginning a job, operators of leaf blowers shall sprinkle water over the area where the leaf blower shall be used and, if necessary, to minimize dust, shall use a mist attachment with the leaf blower.
- Operators shall rake, pick up and dispose of large waste matter prior to using the leaf blower, and shall use a broom when blowing debris off sidewalks or other paved areas. Any debris blown into the street or onto neighboring premises shall be picked up and disposed of properly.
A no-fee application to obtain a Special Permit to Operate a Leaf Blower for commercial use can be obtained from the Code Enforcement Division.
Such permits are included as part of the annual business license renewal package for gardeners, landscape firms, property management companies and other businesses that utilize leaf blowers.
Culver City Municipal Code Section 9.04.015.I
I. Use of leaf blowers. The commercial use or operation of any leaf blower or other portable machine powered with an internal combustion engine used to blow leaves, dirt, and other debris off sidewalks, driveways, lawns and other surfaces, without first having obtained a leaf blower operator’s permit issued by the City pursuant to this Section. A leaf blower operator’s permit shall not be required for an individual operating a leaf blower for private use and not as part of a commercial business.
1. Each applicant for a leaf blower operator’s permit shall be required to demonstrate conformance with the City’s guidelines for leaf blower usage as set forth in the permit application and provide evidence of a current business tax certificate.
2. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a leaf blower or other machine described in this Section within the City of Culver City, except between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
3. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate, within the City of Culver City, a leaf blower with a sound level exceeding 65 decibels.
4. Upon request by the City, any person operating a leaf blower must allow the City’s inspection of the leaf blower to verify compliance with this Section, and must present to the City, upon request, documentation from the manufacturer evidencing the leaf blower’s decibel level.
5. The City may revoke a permit issued pursuant to this Section as a result of any violation of Subsection I.2, I.3 or I.5.
6. An applicant for a leaf blower operator’s permit who has had a permit revoked, or been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to a criminal charge alleging a violation of this Section, within the prior six (6) months shall not be issued a permit.
7. Subsections I.3, I.4 and I.5 shall become effective on November 23, 2022. (Ord. No. 2013-009, § 4 (part); Ord. No. 2017-015, § 1)