Artist Laureate Application and Selection
Click Here to Download and Print
The Overview and Guidelines for the 2023 Artist Laureate Application(PDF, 2MB)
- Work in one of three arts disciplines:
- Fine and Visual Arts: including 2-Dimensional, 3-Dimensional, and Digital Art
- Performing Arts: including Dance, Theatre, Spoken Word, and Music
- Literary Arts: including Poetry, Novels, Essays, Stage Plays, and Screenplays
- Reside or work in Culver City for a minimum of 5 years at time of application deadline
- At least 18 years old at the time of the application deadline
- Publicly exhibited/performed/presented/published artistic work within the last 3 years
- Not be enrolled as an undergraduate student or graduate student in a degree program related to the arts discipline of the application
How To Apply
The application deadline for 2023 has passed. If you want to be notified about future applications, contact Cultural Affairs Division by email at email@example.com.
- ALL required materials must be confirmed received by deadline: October 10, 2022, 5:00 PM.
- Resume or CV
- At least five (5) work samples (artist must be the principal or sole creator/performer/author)
- At least two (2) letters of recommendation (up to 3 letters maximum)
- Finalists must be available to interview with review panel in November 2022.
Applications will be reviewed by an independent peer panel comprising distinguished professionals in the relevant artistic disciplines. The CAC Artist Laureate Subcommittee will make a recommendation based on the peer panel’s comments to the Cultural Affairs Commission who will forward a recommendation to the City Council. The City Council appoints the next Artist Laureate.
Artistic Quality 40%
Artistic quality, originality, and uniqueness of work, as demonstrated through work samples and artist statement
Community Impact 35%
Potential impact within Culver City of proposed arts engagement, as demonstrated through artist statement, recommendations, and finalist interview
Includes ability to promote the arts across disciplines, demonstrated ability for practical collaboration, and outreach
Artistic Activities 15%
Record of artistic activities and achievements, as demonstrated by recognition received and in recommendations and artist resume
Cultural Equity 10%
Cultural diversity of artist, artistic activities, and proposed arts engagement, as demonstrated through work samples, artist resume, artist statement, and finalist interview
Culver City is dedicated to achieving cultural equity through its programs. Cultural equity embodies the values, policies, and practices that ensure that all people—including but not limited to those who have been historically underrepresented based on race/ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic status, geography, citizenship status, or religion—are represented in the development of arts policy; the support of artists; the nurturing of accessible, thriving venues for expression; and the fair distribution of programmatic, financial, and informational resources.
Important Dates (subject to change)
- August 29, 2022 Artist Laureate applications released
- October 10, 2022, 5:00 PM Online applications and letter(s) of reference due to the City
- November 14 – 18, 2022 Finalist applicant interviews with Review Panel and CAC Subcommittee
- December 20, 2022 Cultural Affairs Commission makes recommendation to City Council
- January 9, 2023 City Council appoints Artist Laureate
- January 16, 2023 Official announcement of appointment
- January 2023 – December 2024 Term of Artist Laureate