Submit a Public Records Request

Welcome to the Records Request Page! Please read further to learn more about records requests and how to submit a request to the City. 


Step 1.Submit Your Request 

Access our online portal to submit your public records request. Check your email for a confirmation regarding the status of your request. 

Anonymous Requests: You do not have to enter contact information to submit a request. However, if you do not include an email address, you will be able to access your request when the City provides a response and publishes the request.

Access Records Request Portal

Step 2.City Clerk’s Office Receives and Distributes Request 

The Clerk's Office will distribute your request to the appropriate department(s). Staff will be in touch with you if additional information is necessary. You will receive email notifications when staff contacts you.

Step 3.Check the Status of Your Request 

After finalizing and submitting your request, you will be assigned a reference number and if you provided an email address, your confirmation email will also contain that number.  You may use your reference number to check the status of your request by entering it on the portal. 

Access Records Request Portal

Step 4.What to Expect

We’ll respond in 10 days. In unusual circumstances, the agency may take up to an additional 14 calendar days to provide a response. If the agency intends to use this additional time to respond, the agency must provide written notification to the requestor that the additional time is required, the reason for the delay and the date on which a response will be provided. 


Access Online Records

The California Public Records Act (CPRA) of 1975 is designed to give the public access to written information in the possession of public agencies. The CPRA regulates the public's access to records and states that public records are open to inspection at all times during the office hours of a local agency.

City of Culver City Records

The following are examples of records maintained by the City of Culver City: 

  • Agendas and Minutes
  • Municipal Code
  • Certificates of Occupancy
  • Resolutions
  • Business Licenses
  • Building Permits
  • Fire Code Violations
  • Code Violations
  • Site Plans


Not City of Culver City Records 

The City of Culver City does not posses the following records. You may contact the agencies identified below for these records. 

Birth, Death, Marriage records: Los Angeles County Clerk 

Court records and Traffic Tickets (Not issued by CCPD): Los Angeles Superior Court 

Property Records (Property tax, real estate ownership records): Los Angeles County Assessor’s Office 


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a Public Records request?

Please visit Culver City's Public Records Request Portal to make your request.  

While we encourage requestors to use the online portal, you may also submit your request in writing via U.S. Mail, in-person, or via email.  


What type of written records can I request?

Public Records requests may be used to obtain "agency records," which include a wide variety of written documents and other materials (including print, photographic, and electronic formats) that were created or obtained by a city agency and are, at the time the request is filed, in the department's possession and control. The California Public Records Act excludes certain categories of records from disclosure. 

The following are examples of records and information maintained by the City of Culver City: 

  • Agendas, Staff reports, and Minutes
  • Municipal Code
  • Certificates of Occupancy
  • Resolutions and Ordinances
  • Business Licenses
  • Building Permits
  • Fire Code Violations
  • Code Violations
  • Site Plans
  • Bid Project Results

How soon must Culver City respond to my request?

A city agency receiving a request for documents under the California Public Records Act has 10 days to reply to the request, although additional time may be needed to fulfill certain requests. 

How much will I be charged for my request?

Electronic copies of documents are provided free of charge. Fees for paper copies are currently 15-cents per page, unless the requested document has an established statutory fee. The cost of CDs and audio tapes will vary depending on the specific request. 


When may public records be inspected?

Records identified as responsive to your records request will be available through the City's Public Records Portal.  

In general, public records maintained by the City are open for inspection during regular office hours, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for City holidays. The City is closed on alternating Fridays, you can view the schedule here. The Office of the City Clerk is located at 9770 Culver Blvd., 1st Floor, Culver City  


Can I request any City record?

There are situations where exemptions are applied, which doesn’t allow us to disclose certain records to the public. For example, records concerning pending agency litigation or attorney-client communication. In this case, you will receive a response indicating the exemption if your request fulfillment consists of privileged records.