Apply for a Business Tax Certificate

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

IMPORTANT UPDATE (3/20/20):  In coordination with the City and County of Los Angeles, the City Manager of the City of Culver City issued a supplemental "Safer at Home" Public Order today, which also included waivers and rule changes to assist Culver City businesses.  

The City Order issued today includes the following provisions to assist businesses:

  • Extension of the deadline for submission of Culver City business taxes approximately 60 days to June 1, 2020.
  • Wavier of outdoor dining license fees
  • Waiver of valet parking license fees
  • In order to allow businesses to communicate they are open for pick-up and/or delivery of food, applicable CCMC restrictions related to outdoor business signage (including “sandwich board” signs and temporary banners) are suspended. All signs must be placed preferably on private property or in such a manner to allow for pedestrian access along the public right-of-way.

Complete instructions on how to process your Renewal Notice and make a payment online can be found by vising the Business Support Center Website.

To submit your applications or if you have any questions, please contact the City of Culver City Business Support Center (HdL) by the following ways:

All individuals, corporations, firms, syndicates, joint stock corporations, partnerships, trusts, associations, organizations, clubs, and societies which offer goods, materials, commodities, wares, merchandise or services for sale to the public in Culver City and all professions, crafts, trades, occupations and callings of every kind and nature which are carried on for profit in Culver City are required to obtain a business tax certificate within 30 days of starting business.

A business tax certificate is required whether the business actually makes a profit or not. Independent contractors must obtain a business tax certificate. Non-profit organizations are required to obtain a business tax certificate, but are exempted from paying business tax on those activities for which they have I.R.S. proof of tax exemption.  

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • How do I apply for a Culver City Commercial Cannabis Business Permit?

  • Will my business tax certificate be good in Los Angeles or other cities?

  • Where is the Revenue Division located?

  • Can I get a business tax certificate today?

  • Is the business tax certificate good for the next twelve months?

  • If I own an apartment building or rental property, do I need a business tax certificate?

  • If we are a non-profit organization, are we still required to apply for a city tax certificate?

  • I wasn't notified and I wasn't aware that I needed a business tax certificate until I had already been in business for over two years. Am I still required to pay back taxes along with penalties?

  • Is a business located outside of Culver City, but coming into Culver City to provide goods or services, required to apply for a city tax certificate?

  • Is it a violation of the CCMC to operate a business without first applying for a business tax certificate?

  • Is a separate business tax certificate required for each separate location, different dba's, and each type/activity of business at the same location?

  • I have been paying Los Angeles business taxes for over 2 years, and now I am told that I am located in Culver City. Do I have to pay taxes to Culver City for those two years and penalties even though I have already paid Los Angeles in error?

  • What are the business tax rates? When are taxes due? What is the penalty for late payment?

  • If I operate a business from my home, do I need a business tax certificate? Are there any restrictions on home based businesses?

  • Who needs a business tax certificate? How do I apply? When must I apply?